eyes wide open...a celebration
Yesterday my oldest girlie turned 14! My husband said something very meaningful to her, which caused me to reflect and thank God. "Keaton, a lot of parents are sad when their children become teenagers and grow older because they miss who they were as little children. But for me, I love watching who you're becoming. There is so much grace on your life."
I couldn't agree more. This little girl arrived at 3:40 pm March 18, 1999. After many failed attempts at coming down the birth canal, the doctor finally chose a vacuum extraction to force her out, and she's had her eyes wide open ever since. Every picture and video we seem to have of her in those early days shows her with eyes wide open, and I believe even then we were seeing her personality developing.
She is an inquisitive, bright, multi-talented girl who has many leadership qualities. She loves God all on her own. She thinks deeply and mulls things over, forming connections across many aspects of life. She sings beautifully, plays piano well and composes lovely songs. She writes well both in poetry and prose. She loves to talk...especially to and with me, which is a mother's treasure. She has a love for many kinds of animals and enjoys expressing her feminity through her clothing, jewelry, and room decor. She likes things tidy and neat and helps me in keeping our home looking so.
One of the most honoring things I could say to my daughter I said to her around the dinner table last night. "Keaton, if I were your age, I would seek you out as a friend. You are the kind of girl I would want to be friends with. In fact, as you age, we are becoming friends. The lines are starting to blur between mother/daughter and friend/friend. I know a few years from now we will be adult friends and will love spending time together! I love you, sweetie, and I'm so proud of the young lady you're becoming." Keaton's eyes were a little misty as one by one, each of us honored her in this kind of way.
There is no greater gift on this earth after our salvation than to know that our children are walking in the truth. I am a blessed momma. All three of our little flowers are growing into lovely young ladies who desire to please God and honor their parents. They aren't perfect, but they are full of grace. When I become discouraged about my lack in some particular area: homeschooing, housekeeping, meal prep., I need to thank God for these wonderful children. As my husband points out often to me, it is all of grace.
I couldn't agree more. This little girl arrived at 3:40 pm March 18, 1999. After many failed attempts at coming down the birth canal, the doctor finally chose a vacuum extraction to force her out, and she's had her eyes wide open ever since. Every picture and video we seem to have of her in those early days shows her with eyes wide open, and I believe even then we were seeing her personality developing.
She is an inquisitive, bright, multi-talented girl who has many leadership qualities. She loves God all on her own. She thinks deeply and mulls things over, forming connections across many aspects of life. She sings beautifully, plays piano well and composes lovely songs. She writes well both in poetry and prose. She loves to talk...especially to and with me, which is a mother's treasure. She has a love for many kinds of animals and enjoys expressing her feminity through her clothing, jewelry, and room decor. She likes things tidy and neat and helps me in keeping our home looking so.
One of the most honoring things I could say to my daughter I said to her around the dinner table last night. "Keaton, if I were your age, I would seek you out as a friend. You are the kind of girl I would want to be friends with. In fact, as you age, we are becoming friends. The lines are starting to blur between mother/daughter and friend/friend. I know a few years from now we will be adult friends and will love spending time together! I love you, sweetie, and I'm so proud of the young lady you're becoming." Keaton's eyes were a little misty as one by one, each of us honored her in this kind of way.
There is no greater gift on this earth after our salvation than to know that our children are walking in the truth. I am a blessed momma. All three of our little flowers are growing into lovely young ladies who desire to please God and honor their parents. They aren't perfect, but they are full of grace. When I become discouraged about my lack in some particular area: homeschooing, housekeeping, meal prep., I need to thank God for these wonderful children. As my husband points out often to me, it is all of grace.
I am very very thankful to have her as a friend. She is a wonderful friend and I love having a friend who is growing in God as I am too. I love you Keaton, happy birthday! :)
ReplyDeletehappy Birthday! what a beautiful age and a beautiful girl
ReplyDeleteAnd hey! I just realized this. Isn't eyes wide open the name of one of Keaton's favorite songs?
ReplyDeleteHappy belated b-day Keaton! You are a blessed girl and are a blessing to those around you!
ReplyDelete