my word for 2012 "renew"

Some of the blogs I follow are picking words to define, work on, set the tone for, outline, or otherwise help to focus goals and mindsets for this year.  I love some of the words picked.  "Choose."  "Dwell."   For me, the first word that popped into my head was "Renew."  You see, not only is there A LOT that needs renewed in my home...17 year old everything... from couch to pots and pans to sheets...there is A LOT about me that needs renewed.  Also, after 8 years of being out of full-time pastoral ministry, my husband will graduate from Pastor's College and we will move to Nassau, Bahamas to start a new life as he re-enters the pastorate.  Renew.  The word is definitely right for this year.

On Monday, my hubby and I began our "renewed" way of eating.  Dropping oodles of fat grams in the day is how I lost 30 pounds about 14 years ago.  Now it's time to do it again....only minus the loads of sugar I inhaled back then to replace the missing taste of the food I ate.  I think I've already lost a pound or so.  Though I don't do scales!  My friend J. has already lost 23 pounds in the last month with her new eating plan, and she is an inspiration to me!!

More than a body renew though, I need a mindset renew.  "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  Romans 12:2.   AND "put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." Eph. 2:23

The holidays are often one of the most stressful and "cup-bumping" times of the year, and I always seem to emerge from them ready to dissect pieces of my life: what's not working, what needs to go, what needs to stay, what could be improved.   And although this year was much less stressful than most, I had 15 hours or so in our minivan to think, all the way home from Florida!  (Which by the way, was a WONDERFUL time spent with Mom and Dad B., siblings, siblings-in-law, and nephews and niece!) 

I need renewed...right at my core.  I want to wake up with a purpose each morning and hang onto it fiercely through the day.  No matter what happens.  I want God to renew hope in my heart.  I want to renew my heart for homeschooling, for enjoying my girls, for loving my husband, for taking care of my home, for taking care of myself.  Lord, help me to cherish the greatest renewal I will ever experience...my salvation.  And in light of it, help me to look to you, Maker of all things new.  Renew me, Lord...

Comments

Popular Posts