Home
We are HOME!! After 8 years out of pastoral ministry and 7 years of waiting to see what God would do next, including moving us three times, we are settled in Nassau. I don't quite know what words to use to express the emotions and reactions I've had since our arrival. The flight was easy. Immigration and customs and the airport were less so! We were told that I should have secured a permit to reside and that I need to have that secured within the month or I could be asked to leave. Yikes. Keith's work visa covers him only. So we will be visiting the immigration office soon. Prayers appreciated! Then our luggage was about to be inspected (since Keith is now a permanent resident they want to make sure we're declaring our imports correctly for taxation), but then because technically I am being viewed as a "visitor" until I get my permit to reside, they took our oral declaration of what was in all our luggage, and let us through without paying any tax. Sorry if that's confusing. But that's how it was for us too! A family new to the church here in Nassau met us at the airport, soon followed by Cedric and Alexine (our senior pastor and wife). We managed to squeeze about 20 pieces of cargo plus 7 people into the church van, and off we went to Cedric and Alexine's home for a quick meal.
Delicious chicken and tuna salad with the most amazing rolls were served, and the creme da la creme of all danishes: made by Danielle, C. and A.'s college-age daughter.
As we went to get in our vehicles which we shipped here over almost 2 months ago, we noticed they had been meticulously cleaned, inspected, and given Nassau license plates. We were overwhelmed at the work this represented on our behalf. Then, off to our new house. This was my first time driving on the left, but I just remained calm. I followed Cedric and tried not to get my feathers ruffled at all the road work, deep puddles that almost tidal waved into our van, and random pedestrians who literally walk right into the busy roads. One man is for sure only alive by God's restraint of my gas pedal! Then finally, we turned into our road, and my heart was beating with anticipation. When I first saw the outside of the house I was shocked at the color. On the internet and in all the pictures Cedric had taken for us, it looked bright blue. But in person, it is something between teal green and turquoise! Whoa! Kendall's shirt she wore that day was an almost exact match!!
I was pleasantly surprised by how nicely landscaped the yard was...everything looked so well-kept and tropical! Then we entered, and I was blown away. The house truly is such an entertainer's dream. Open, open, open is the concept of this house. Perhaps it is the housal (I made up that word, I think) equivalent of the way Keith and I have tried to live our lives. "Come on in, make yourself at home and get comfortable" is what this house seems to say. I hope people here feel that as they enter. We can't imagine anything more suitable for us as we open our home to the church and any visitors the Lord sends our way. That first afternoon/evening, I just couldn't quite settle in. Everything felt so disconnected from my usual life. None of the homes we've lived in have ever been more than probably 1700 square feet....including the basements. This home is much more spacious and generous in every way. Even the hallways feel spacious. The kitchen is beckoning me to bake, cook, and just have fun with food. Cooking with my girls will be (I imagine this) a delight! There is one big granite-covered island with a cooktop stove. Double ovens (one convection) tons of cabinet drawers. In fact, there are drawers I simply have no use for. Back in our apartment, I remember having two drawers. One was about 4 incles wide. I had no where to store my dish cloths or potholders. Here, I can have my pick of drawers! I have one hall closet that I can use just for homeschooling books and supplies. It's got several shelves and is perfectly situated for easy access. The girls' bathroom has an enormous amount of storage: again, I cannot possibly fill it.
As I tried to take it all in those first few moments as Cedric and Alexine showed us our new home, I just kept thinking of the lavish kindness of God. He does not withhold any good thing from us because of Christ. I pray that as we live here, the Lord will hear my grateful heart rise up in praise to Him for all he has done for us, both spiritually and materially. This is such a lesson to my heart. And my prayer today for anyone reading this is that no matter what your present state or condition, you will fix your eyes on Christ, and see his lavish love for you.
Delicious chicken and tuna salad with the most amazing rolls were served, and the creme da la creme of all danishes: made by Danielle, C. and A.'s college-age daughter.
As we went to get in our vehicles which we shipped here over almost 2 months ago, we noticed they had been meticulously cleaned, inspected, and given Nassau license plates. We were overwhelmed at the work this represented on our behalf. Then, off to our new house. This was my first time driving on the left, but I just remained calm. I followed Cedric and tried not to get my feathers ruffled at all the road work, deep puddles that almost tidal waved into our van, and random pedestrians who literally walk right into the busy roads. One man is for sure only alive by God's restraint of my gas pedal! Then finally, we turned into our road, and my heart was beating with anticipation. When I first saw the outside of the house I was shocked at the color. On the internet and in all the pictures Cedric had taken for us, it looked bright blue. But in person, it is something between teal green and turquoise! Whoa! Kendall's shirt she wore that day was an almost exact match!!
I was pleasantly surprised by how nicely landscaped the yard was...everything looked so well-kept and tropical! Then we entered, and I was blown away. The house truly is such an entertainer's dream. Open, open, open is the concept of this house. Perhaps it is the housal (I made up that word, I think) equivalent of the way Keith and I have tried to live our lives. "Come on in, make yourself at home and get comfortable" is what this house seems to say. I hope people here feel that as they enter. We can't imagine anything more suitable for us as we open our home to the church and any visitors the Lord sends our way. That first afternoon/evening, I just couldn't quite settle in. Everything felt so disconnected from my usual life. None of the homes we've lived in have ever been more than probably 1700 square feet....including the basements. This home is much more spacious and generous in every way. Even the hallways feel spacious. The kitchen is beckoning me to bake, cook, and just have fun with food. Cooking with my girls will be (I imagine this) a delight! There is one big granite-covered island with a cooktop stove. Double ovens (one convection) tons of cabinet drawers. In fact, there are drawers I simply have no use for. Back in our apartment, I remember having two drawers. One was about 4 incles wide. I had no where to store my dish cloths or potholders. Here, I can have my pick of drawers! I have one hall closet that I can use just for homeschooling books and supplies. It's got several shelves and is perfectly situated for easy access. The girls' bathroom has an enormous amount of storage: again, I cannot possibly fill it.
As I tried to take it all in those first few moments as Cedric and Alexine showed us our new home, I just kept thinking of the lavish kindness of God. He does not withhold any good thing from us because of Christ. I pray that as we live here, the Lord will hear my grateful heart rise up in praise to Him for all he has done for us, both spiritually and materially. This is such a lesson to my heart. And my prayer today for anyone reading this is that no matter what your present state or condition, you will fix your eyes on Christ, and see his lavish love for you.
Pictures please! :)
ReplyDeleteI feel excited for you! I can't wait to visit! :)
ReplyDelete