one area of growth affects others

A few days ago I began the "Read the Bible in 90 Days" plan.  I am really looking forward to it each day!  I am into Exodus now, reading about 16 chapters a day.  This is a habit I hope to keep.  I realize that at my core, I am actually prone to be a habit-keeping person. In fact, when I don't have my allotted amount of quiet time, time alone, coffee in the morning and evening and regular meals, I become pretty grumpy!  Clearly I am quite a routine person.   I just don't like the feeling of "I MUST, OR ELSE!" in any area of life.  Keeping up with a new eating and exercise plan has given me the discipline to try more good routines with other areas of my life.  They say a new habit takes about 21-28 days to develop. That's really such a short time. Imagine the changes we could all implement if we'd just commit to 3 or 4 weeks of a new routine!

  I realized the other day that when I go to the grocery store now (as in the last 4 months) I head first for the produce aisle to pick up my staples: romaine, green and red peppers and cucumbers.  I used to dislike buying salad supplies because we'd never get to them fast enough and they'd spoil.  Yet the habit of buying and preparing fresh veggies came easily when I was losing weight, and it has stuck. 

One of the ways I desperately want change for my whole family is in the area of school days.  We ALL need new habits.  I need new habits of planning for the weeks and years ahead and of implementing rules and consequences for work not done.  The girls need habits of rising, grooming, eating, starting their work and working 'til it's complete without me having to prompt them at every transition.  I am praying hard about these desired habits right now.  My oldest is entering 8th grade, and needs to be training for the higher-level work and discipline of high school and college.  Yet I know God will help us.  He always makes things beautiful in their time.  And I believe the discipline He's enabled me to have in certain areas will affect many more areas.  I pray it is so.  I want to bring Him glory with the use of my time, my mind, my physical body, and the stewarding of my children.  I know that in all these things I am more than a conqueror, through Him who loved me.

Comments

Popular Posts