she's special all on her own...birthday again!
It was nearly 12 years ago exactly...6:30 pm or so, that Kara Faith was born to us. She was my easiest delivery of the three and perhaps that was a sign of things to come...easy baby (except for the time she had to be life-flighted to Children's Hospital), easy toddler (except when she ran out of the house during a family nap-time and Social services happened to be on our street), and easy young girl (hmmm...definitely an easier stage). From the beginning, Kara loved to snuggle, and unlike Keaton she would rarely open her eyes those first few days! In fact, even her baby picture in the hospital...the "official" one, has her with eyes shut. She wouldn't budge those eyelids for anything!
This "little bug" as we called her, would lay curled up, Indian-style crossed legs, and burrow right down into us. She has always been extremely secure and sure of herself, being the one to walk earliest, run off and get lost from us on a few occasions, and say things that "cut to the chase" as a little one. If she saw someone in the extended family raising their voice to another family member, she'd just say "------------you shouldn't treat them that way. You should be nice." On another occasion as we were getting out of our van to go in the house, our neighbor happened to be on the sidewalk and as we said our hellos, Kara looked at me and said "Mommy, when are you going to tell her about God?" While I hemmed and hawed my way around it, in that moment I felt convicted. My 7 year old had more clarity than I.
And today this little bug turns 12. She is a lovely dancer, an avid critter lover, an inventive crafter, an eager helper, a thoughtful encourager, and a bright thinker who loves to explore God's creation and keeps the information she deems important on ready recall. Her latest desire is to become a pediatrician. She is going through a "I want to do hard things" stage and it's really fun to watch.
This past summer, Kara expressed her desire to be baptized, signifying her commitment to Jesus. We were thrilled. And she continues to grow in her knowledge and love for God. I am blessed to know my children are following the path of Christ. May He help me to keep walking down that path ahead of them and alongside them! They definitely keep me on my toes.
Kara, I love you sweetheart. I know you no longer like being called "bug," but I love the young lady you're becoming and I hope I tell you that often. Keep loving Jesus. Keep challenging yourself to do hard things. You are an inspiration to me!
This "little bug" as we called her, would lay curled up, Indian-style crossed legs, and burrow right down into us. She has always been extremely secure and sure of herself, being the one to walk earliest, run off and get lost from us on a few occasions, and say things that "cut to the chase" as a little one. If she saw someone in the extended family raising their voice to another family member, she'd just say "------------you shouldn't treat them that way. You should be nice." On another occasion as we were getting out of our van to go in the house, our neighbor happened to be on the sidewalk and as we said our hellos, Kara looked at me and said "Mommy, when are you going to tell her about God?" While I hemmed and hawed my way around it, in that moment I felt convicted. My 7 year old had more clarity than I.
And today this little bug turns 12. She is a lovely dancer, an avid critter lover, an inventive crafter, an eager helper, a thoughtful encourager, and a bright thinker who loves to explore God's creation and keeps the information she deems important on ready recall. Her latest desire is to become a pediatrician. She is going through a "I want to do hard things" stage and it's really fun to watch.
This past summer, Kara expressed her desire to be baptized, signifying her commitment to Jesus. We were thrilled. And she continues to grow in her knowledge and love for God. I am blessed to know my children are following the path of Christ. May He help me to keep walking down that path ahead of them and alongside them! They definitely keep me on my toes.
Kara, I love you sweetheart. I know you no longer like being called "bug," but I love the young lady you're becoming and I hope I tell you that often. Keep loving Jesus. Keep challenging yourself to do hard things. You are an inspiration to me!
Happy birthday Kara! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy belated b-day Kara! We miss your sweetness!
ReplyDelete