OK, I'm pretty excited about nesting. I want to hold it loosely. But on the other hand, this is, in many ways, exactly what I'm called to. Making home. Creating a dwelling space for this family of 5 where we can live, eat, work, and play. A space for friends, new and old, to gather. The desire of my heart. And I see My Father in it all; His provision, His mercy, His goodness in His gifts.
Here is a picture of our kitchen...kind of before and after. Before was the mustard yellow. The new color is Valspar's Churchill Hotel Ecru. I believe another brand (Ben Moore?) matches it in Navajo White. Love it.
Next up is the girls' pink bedroom. No painting in there yet, but I installed these hanging shelf/desk combos from IKEA. Love how they turned out. God was so good to give me patience that day. My local hardware store and a salesman named Eddie pretty much made my job a breeze by showing me exactly what drywall anchors and screws to use. I prefer local places to big box stores when I really need help or advice. You really do get better customer service.
Then I went in with my new drywall anchoring skills and installed some $8 IKEA shelves in the kitchen. This looks almost exactly like a photo I saw on Pinterest. I was really pleased with the outcome.
Then yesterday, which will stand in infamy as the "Let's just do one more thing day..." (I'll explain later), we transformed the great room and TV armoire I found on Craigslist.
 |
| Before with the aqua/teal color |
 |
After: Filtered Shade paint on walls, Olympic's Evening Glow on armoire
THEN, something very cool happened. I have been looking for months for a desk on Craigslist, at Goodwill...at thrift stores, you name it. Nothing. Either I was too late, it was too much or too ugly. Then yesterday on my way out of the neighborhood, I spotted this little beauty sitting by the roadside. Well, she wasn't such a beauty in her raw form. Old brown formica-like MDF. But her bones were good. With only minutes to spare before a deluge hit, I went back to our house, got the BEST HUSBAND IN THE WORLD and asked him to come help with my rescue mission. Several hours later, after cleaning out drawers full of bug poop and wasp nests and sacs of ??? stuck to the bottom of the drawers and painting, I had this:


I am pretty happy with the results. Now I just need to find a little chair, hang my IKEA LACK shelves above the desk, and move into my little corner. I expect great things will happen here. Blog posts, homeschool planning, the writing of my first book... Hey, who knows? And it all started with a trash pickup.
Finally, we near the end in our "Let's just do/get one more thing day" yesterday: our new piano. We actually bought this on Friday down in Ft. Walton Beach, but it was delivered yesterday...right between the painting of the room and armoire and the finding of the desk. Yep. Why not do 90 things in one day? Anyway, it's an "ETERNA" by Yamaha. Sounds beautiful and we love the shiny black...mostly. And by mostly I mean as long as I walk around all day with a microfiber cloth to wipe off all the FINGERPRINTS. But seriously, it is awesome. In case you don't know, MY BEST HUSBAND EVER was a Music Composition Major and Piano Performance Minor in college. He has been deprived of a piano for 3 years now and it was about time we get this. Let's hope he gets a chance to play it now that my 3 girls are also "composing" and "practicing" all the time.
And last but not least: MJ, our 7 year old Dachshund. He came to us via a family that was struggling to keep their toddler from being too aggressive with him. Last night we brought him home with us and he has been a gem already. Easygoing, cuddly, HOUSEBROKEN and loves to play fetch. Lots of energy for a middle aged dog! Such a sweetie.
So there you have it the "Let's just do/get one more thing" Day. Here were the accomplishments:
- Go to Lowes, choose paint for armoire, buy extra paint supplies
- Prime and paint Vaulted room
- Prime and paint armoire
- Get new piano
- Find roadside desk
- Transform roadside desk with primer and paint
- Go to grocery store
- Make connection 35 minutes away to get new dog
- Settle dog in for the night
Next up for today: finish blog post, finish unpacking garage boxes, pick dual enrollment courses for 15 year old, go to homeschool meeting at 6 pm. No. problem. Why not?
|
Comments
Post a Comment