a bit of british

One thing many persons do not realize is that the Bahamas was, up until 1973, a British colony.  The effects of this British occupation are definitely still widely felt.  And to be honest, I love the effects!

First off, you'll notice soon after arriving, that we drive on the left.  This is the British way.  Also, much of the vocabulary and pronunciation you'll encounter here in the Bahamas is quite British.  Here are some examples:
  • persons (not people) is the appropriate word for more than one person (I hear this over and over again in BBC movies/shows)
  • "schedule" is pronounced "shed-yule" (no "k" sound)
  • "at month's end" instead of "at the end of the month"
  • "All is well?"  is a common greeting, reminiscent of the British, I think
  • "destined" is pronounced "des-TINEd"  with a long "I" sound
  • "Wednesday" is pronounced "WED-nes-day" using the "d" sound (which Americans do not!)
These are just a few of the noticeable British influences I have found here.  Perhaps also, wardrobe items like beautiful hats worn to church or weddings and funerals, much as Queen Elizabeth would wear, are quite the norm in many churches.  (I'm thinking of getting one!)

There is also, in general, a reserved-ness about many persons.  Talking incessantly about your own life just is not the norm.  Privacy, politeness, and propriety are still held in very high regard by many Bahamians...especially the older generation.  As an American, I am learning not to offer more information than necessary upon first meeting people (persons). 

There is an interesting mix of British pronunciation, using crisp word endings, and Bahamian dialectical language here.  The people themselves do not notice this as much, but as an outsider, it is very obvious.  One of the reasons for this "mix" of proper English (much moreso than any American would use) and Bahamian slang is that many of the citizens here were schooled at a time when many of the teachers were British.  If you ask them about their education growing up, they will more than likely have had many, if not a complete line of British educators.  This presents an effect of a language which one moment seems very formal, and the next moment is completely "loose" and hard for an outsider to understand.

Well there is a bit about the British influence here in Nassau.  I'll continue to report on these types of culture-findings as the months go by.

Comments

Popular Posts