floating

This afternoon after school was completed for the day, Keith (home for his day off) took the girls to pick out a float for the pool.  A small treat in our eyes, but for some reason they all desperately wanted to be there to pick it out.  The result for me was a few moments of PAQ (peace and quiet).  I donned my Land's End bathing suit (highly recommend this company for both durability and modesty issues) and went in the pool.  And then, I floated.  When was the last time I did that?  Now, to be sure, most adults don't want to float in a pool when crazy active children are present, splashing and disturbing the peace.  I don't float when the kids are around.  But it was just me, the dog, and the pool.  And as I let go and looked up at the blue sky I was struck by the thought that I was totally weightless and dependent in that moment.  I wasn't paddling or treading water.  Just me, lying face up toward the sky, the water doing all the physics.

Like God holding me...all the time.  It was peaceful lying there...with nowhere to look but up.  And I began to see that in reality, God is always holding me up like that.  Sustaining me, keeping me afloat.  And as I give in to the dependent posture of floating, I stay up, head above water.  If I were to struggle in the least bit, I'd either have to be working to swim, or my head would go under.  But neither are necessary as long as I stay in that position.  Hmmm.  I won't quickly forget that moment of pure floating.  When was the last time you tried it?

Comments

Popular Posts