four days in...
CAUTION: What you are about to read may sound like complaining, but it is meant to provoke laughter and a sense of humor as we look at our common daily lives.
Thursday night and I'm looking back over the last four busy days. Hands down, my most provoking day was Tuesday. Boy, oh boy, oh boy. First of all, anytime I need to get everyone out of the house by 10 or so, it is like pulling teeth. Doctor's appointment for K12 at 11am meant arriving 15 min. early to fill out new patient paperwork. Add in 20 minutes for the drive and another 10 for probably getting lost, and we needed to leave by 10:15 at the latest. By the grace of God we did, and arrived by 10:30. The appointment went fine...we basically left with a prescription, an x-ray order, and a stool sample collection kit. Sounds like fun, huh?
But now the fun really begins! We leave, I notice the "empty" light is on for the gas tank. I drive in search of gas, I miss the turn for my desired gas station. I think, "ok, no problem, I'll just pull in to the shopping center and get the prescription filled, go back out and get the gas then." There is no where to park. Ok, I'll just go get gas and come back. We proceed to find another gas station, where people are aimlessly walking across the paved entrance, as though there is no danger that a large minivan may plow them over. I gas up the van. We attempt to leave. A lady pulls up next to me as if to turn left, and yet she is actually in the incoming lane. But now she is blocking me from turning left. Ok, I must just go straight and turn around. after turning around I wait at yet another light to go back to the pharmacy. As I'm walking into the pharmacy, my flip-flop breaks, which causes me to either walk barefoot on one side, or shuffle along as people stare. I choose the latter, which proves to be ridiculous! I get in the door, only to find a long wait at the "drop off" station. I decide I can't wait...my kids are in the car and I have no shoe. I take off the broken flip flop and walk out half barefoot through the parking lot.
Total time out of the house Tuesday morning: 3 hours. Accomplishment: one doctor appointment and one tank of gas. Non-accomplishment : no prescription filled, 3 hours of schoolwork not done, pair of flip-flops rendered useless.
After I got home of course everyone was hungry and wanting lunch, so it would be another half hour or so before any "real" work got done.
The up side to the day was that my aunt, who lives nearby, wanted to take us all out for dinner. Somehow she knew the day before that I might need a break that day. So we packed up the bunny, which she wanted to see, and all of us headed for dinner. After some amazing hamburgers and fries, the girls, Teddy, and I all accompanied my aunt back to her house where the rabbit got some special treats and we watched a video of my aunt's trained Cairn Terrier play the part of Toto in a local Wizard of Oz play. I think it was me who played Dorothy that day. If only I'd had those ruby slippers....
Thursday night and I'm looking back over the last four busy days. Hands down, my most provoking day was Tuesday. Boy, oh boy, oh boy. First of all, anytime I need to get everyone out of the house by 10 or so, it is like pulling teeth. Doctor's appointment for K12 at 11am meant arriving 15 min. early to fill out new patient paperwork. Add in 20 minutes for the drive and another 10 for probably getting lost, and we needed to leave by 10:15 at the latest. By the grace of God we did, and arrived by 10:30. The appointment went fine...we basically left with a prescription, an x-ray order, and a stool sample collection kit. Sounds like fun, huh?
But now the fun really begins! We leave, I notice the "empty" light is on for the gas tank. I drive in search of gas, I miss the turn for my desired gas station. I think, "ok, no problem, I'll just pull in to the shopping center and get the prescription filled, go back out and get the gas then." There is no where to park. Ok, I'll just go get gas and come back. We proceed to find another gas station, where people are aimlessly walking across the paved entrance, as though there is no danger that a large minivan may plow them over. I gas up the van. We attempt to leave. A lady pulls up next to me as if to turn left, and yet she is actually in the incoming lane. But now she is blocking me from turning left. Ok, I must just go straight and turn around. after turning around I wait at yet another light to go back to the pharmacy. As I'm walking into the pharmacy, my flip-flop breaks, which causes me to either walk barefoot on one side, or shuffle along as people stare. I choose the latter, which proves to be ridiculous! I get in the door, only to find a long wait at the "drop off" station. I decide I can't wait...my kids are in the car and I have no shoe. I take off the broken flip flop and walk out half barefoot through the parking lot.
Total time out of the house Tuesday morning: 3 hours. Accomplishment: one doctor appointment and one tank of gas. Non-accomplishment : no prescription filled, 3 hours of schoolwork not done, pair of flip-flops rendered useless.
After I got home of course everyone was hungry and wanting lunch, so it would be another half hour or so before any "real" work got done.
The up side to the day was that my aunt, who lives nearby, wanted to take us all out for dinner. Somehow she knew the day before that I might need a break that day. So we packed up the bunny, which she wanted to see, and all of us headed for dinner. After some amazing hamburgers and fries, the girls, Teddy, and I all accompanied my aunt back to her house where the rabbit got some special treats and we watched a video of my aunt's trained Cairn Terrier play the part of Toto in a local Wizard of Oz play. I think it was me who played Dorothy that day. If only I'd had those ruby slippers....

Comments
Post a Comment