the firsts and the lasts
Wow. This week has been full of "firsts" and "lasts." We officially have secured our "first" home outside the U.S.!! And it's so wonderful for more reasons than I can express. Beautiful, open kitchen (complete with island and double ovens!) A dream come true for me. A pool and playground area for the girls (and friends who visit!), an open-concept layout. 4 Bedrooms, 2.5 baths, safety (walled/fenced) and palm trees on site! And the landlords agreed to take a 25% rent reduction for us, as well as a two-year lease. God is so good to us.
Another "first" was watching as our two vehicles were loaded on a car-carrying truck (the kind with 8 or so cars dangling high on racks...that you hate to drive behind or beside). Yep, there they went, off to sunny Nassau without us. I secretly wished I could have climbed in one of them, cracked the windows and made the trip now!
Now for a "last." The girls and I had our last homeschooling co-op at Covenant Life. And perhaps we will find, our last homeschool co-op in the US. This is a little sobering. Not that there aren't homeschoolers in Nassau, but there is one co-op for an island of 200,000 people. And it's not big. We're not in Lancaster County, PA anymore...
But the more riveting "last" of the week was: we had our last care group of the PC year with Gary and Betsy Ricucci. This is sad. In fact, I expect the example of a pastor's wife that I will look to in years to come will always be Betsy...and I got one of my last times with her this week. She hugged me and reminded me, "You know, I'm only a Skype away!" Wow. She's right. I'm glad we live in the year 2012! Think of the days when letters were the only form of overseas communication, and it could take months to send and receive.
Well, this list of firsts and lasts will inevitably grow as the weeks wind down. We are 5 weeks from graduation and 7 weeks from moving internationally. Yikes. I guess I better start packing.
Another "first" was watching as our two vehicles were loaded on a car-carrying truck (the kind with 8 or so cars dangling high on racks...that you hate to drive behind or beside). Yep, there they went, off to sunny Nassau without us. I secretly wished I could have climbed in one of them, cracked the windows and made the trip now!
Now for a "last." The girls and I had our last homeschooling co-op at Covenant Life. And perhaps we will find, our last homeschool co-op in the US. This is a little sobering. Not that there aren't homeschoolers in Nassau, but there is one co-op for an island of 200,000 people. And it's not big. We're not in Lancaster County, PA anymore...
But the more riveting "last" of the week was: we had our last care group of the PC year with Gary and Betsy Ricucci. This is sad. In fact, I expect the example of a pastor's wife that I will look to in years to come will always be Betsy...and I got one of my last times with her this week. She hugged me and reminded me, "You know, I'm only a Skype away!" Wow. She's right. I'm glad we live in the year 2012! Think of the days when letters were the only form of overseas communication, and it could take months to send and receive.
Well, this list of firsts and lasts will inevitably grow as the weeks wind down. We are 5 weeks from graduation and 7 weeks from moving internationally. Yikes. I guess I better start packing.
Comments
Post a Comment