never more to do than possible

I enjoy reading other blogs by wives and mothers.  One common theme I see frequently is how busy everyone is and how they don't have time for interruptions (sickness, flat tires, power outtages...)  When I read the amount of work some women complete in a day, I wonder what it's all for.  Is there an unspoken race to can the most applesauce, bake the most bread, clean and reorganize the biggest house or run the most miles in a week?  Unless they're being dishonest, I truly wonder at how they manage to keep going, day after day after day if the lists of their accomplishments each day are accurate.   This is really something I ponder frequently.  What does the life of a Christian woman look like, biblically?  What does God show us in his word?  There is the Proverbs 31 passage, which we know is to be a pattern, not an exact model for each of us.  We make provisions of food and clothing for our household with the resources God allots us.  We use what strength we have to care for our husbands, children, extended family, and friends.  But we are not superwomen.  In fact to claim such is idolatry.  We have limits.  God assures us of that by making us human.  Any good we do is only because of the strength He supplies us.  Our flesh is innately rebellious and wants to live contrary to helping others in the name of Jesus.  On the other hand, we may strenuously serve hard in order to look good to others and receive praise from mankind.  I can fall into this easily, wanting to make a good show to others looking in.  This mindset creeps in subtly.  But it is sinister and sets itself up against the worship of God alone.

I recently was drawn back to the Mary and Martha story, where Jesus speaks to the issues of busy serving and quiet sitting at his feet.  Martha isn't rebuked for serving busily, but for being distracted by that serving.  And distracted from what?  From Jesus himself.  Mary, in the moment, I'm sure was aware of the preparations going on in the kitchen and house.  Yet she chose unashamedly to sit down at Jesus' feet and listen to him.  Martha was provoked by this.  Though she had welcomed Jesus in to her house, her "cup got bumped" by her sister Mary who seemed uncaring toward the workload on Martha's shoulders.  Perhaps Martha's obvious fault in this moment was that she didn't demonstrate by her actions the thing that was truly the priority. But the deeper hidden problem was in her heart.  Her heart was less affected by the person of Christ than of herself. The living person of Christ was in her home, and instead of adoring him with her undivided attention, she went about her day as though she were needing to serve him, rather than receive from him. 

God is not served by human hands, as Acts 17:24-25 says plainly, "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything."   I cannot make God's job easier.  He does not need me.  This is humbling.  If I died today, the world would not be desperate.  Few would notice.  God would continue reigning and ruling.  But often I can become so consumed with the issues of life (usually under the heading of "serving") that I forget how small, how needy, and how utterly dependent I am on God.  All, not some, of my strength to do good works comes from him.  When I am tired, I should humbly go to him in prayer, not angrily wish I had some other task before me.  If he gives me life, and breath and everything, then he will continue to do that each day I live.  This should quiet my heart and bring contentment.  Today I have many tasks before me.   I'm continuing (to attempt) to adjust to a new country and culture and show hospitality on several levels for the next few days.  I feel weak.  Lord, help me not to miss worshipping you as I run about, trying to serve you, rather than receive from you.  Let me hear your call to come and cast my burden on you and wear your yoke.  Give me the strength as I need it, not as I imagine it. 

Comments

Popular Posts