living in denial (self-denial, that is)

Ah, the negative connotation that comes with the words "self denial."  Who likes the sound of it?  In fact, if we're honest, most of us (perhaps especially moms), think we deny ourselves pretty much all the time, thank you very much.  But truthfully, truth-FULLY, we don't.  My selfish motives lurk right near the surface of the "selfless" things I do. 

Jesus knows this about us. In fact he alone truly "sees" us as we are.   And here is what he tells us in Matthew 16:24-26, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.  For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.  For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?  Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"  He goes on to talk about rewards according to our works. 

Curtis Allen, a pastor at Solid Rock Church in Riverside, MD, recently preached on this passage of Matthew.  I was affected.  And I have been thinking ever since, "What have I actually denied myself in/of/from lately?"  Christ says if I'm truly following him, there will be a cross to bear.  That's his example to us.  If we are saved, then we must suffer too...it's like a brand we wear.  Whether that be outright persecution for speaking out our faith, or quiet persecution like having family members who think we're a little cracked in the head, or health trials that God is asking us to endure with grace...  There are many forms which our "cross" might take.  And what is our reply to Him?  "Yes, Jesus, good and kind Savior.  I will take up this cross and walk alongside you in suffering.  I want to learn to be like you.  I will bear this, with you at my side."  Or is it, "ME?  Why ME?  I didn't ask for this!  I'm a pretty good person.  I try to do my best.  I can't suffer AGAIN.  I thought that last trial was enough.  It went on for years.  I thought I'd never come out of it.  So no more please.  I've proved I love you ....don't you think?"   It takes faith to bear our cross.  But no matter how difficult our cross, it will never compare to the weight of the one Jesus bore for us.   His father turned away from Him so that He could look on us with acceptance.  We will never know the forsaking of God.  But Jesus did.  We get to follow Jesus when we take up our cross.  But there was no one for him to follow: He walked alone.

Today I am taking up a cross and denying myself.  But I'm doing it in faith, knowing I don't walk alone, but with Jesus, my Savior walking beside me.  I hope to gain far more than I will lose in this journey.  Deeper knowledge of my Savior.  Greater love for him.  Greater thankfulness for all he suffered for me.  And the "fellowship of His suffering."  I choose to live in denial, so that I can see the truth clearly.

Comments

Popular Posts