oh think twice, it's another day for you and me in paradise
If you're a Phil Collins fan, as I am, you surely know the song referred to in today's blog post title. I've always loved this song, but now my husband and I have produced a second generation of Phil Collins lovers. Funny thing is, growing up singing this song, I never had any idea how deja vu it would be to not only hear, but live the lyrics of this song.
She calls out to the man on the street,
"Sir can you help me?
It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep.
Is there somewhere you can tell me?"
He walks on, doesn't look back
He pretends he can't hear her.
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there
Oh, think twice
'Cause it's another day for you and me in paradise
Oh, think twice
'Cause it's another day for you and me...
You and me in Paradise
(Think about it)
She calls out to the man on the street
He can see she's been crying
She's got blisters on the soles of her feet
She can't walk but she's trying
(repeat chorus)
Oh Lord!
Is there nothing more anybody can do?
Oh, oh Lord,
There must be something you can say...
You can tell from the lines on her face
You can see that's she's been there
Probably been moved out from every place
'Cause she didn't fit in there...
(repeat chorus)
Every time we drive to church, we must drive down Kemp Road. I've told you the name of it so that if you're praying for Nassau, you can pray quite specifically. Kemp Road has everything happening on it. Churches meeting, homeless people wandering, prostitutes sauntering, children running loose with no supervision, stray dogs decaying in the heat. At night, I'm afraid to drive it. So I've stopped. I go a different way at night, if at all possible. Kemp Road intersects with the street our church is on. By the time I arrive at church Sunday mornings, I've already been praying for the people I've passed. My heart is heavy. The need here seems so great. And literally, all these people, so lost, so empty, are just steps away from my church.
Where do we start? How can we make any difference? Some ideas floating around in my head would be to have a clothing and food bank at the church. We could open up to the local community for 1 hour a day, three days a week, say 3-4pm. We could allow each person 1 item of clothing per day. Maybe the food bank would only be open one day a week, with a 1 large bag of food per person limit. This is all off the top of my head. I know we need to do research, and find people to contribute, and people to run the ministry. And how would we ensure these people are hearing the gospel too? So many things to consider.... Pray for us. Pray for Kingdom Life Church. There is so much need, literally right outside our doors. I don't want to live in "paradise" while ignoring the vast need around me. I want to think about it, consider how I can help, and move towards action. May God help us as we seek to be a beacon of light in our little part of the city.
She calls out to the man on the street,
"Sir can you help me?
It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep.
Is there somewhere you can tell me?"
He walks on, doesn't look back
He pretends he can't hear her.
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there
Oh, think twice
'Cause it's another day for you and me in paradise
Oh, think twice
'Cause it's another day for you and me...
You and me in Paradise
(Think about it)
She calls out to the man on the street
He can see she's been crying
She's got blisters on the soles of her feet
She can't walk but she's trying
(repeat chorus)
Oh Lord!
Is there nothing more anybody can do?
Oh, oh Lord,
There must be something you can say...
You can tell from the lines on her face
You can see that's she's been there
Probably been moved out from every place
'Cause she didn't fit in there...
(repeat chorus)
Every time we drive to church, we must drive down Kemp Road. I've told you the name of it so that if you're praying for Nassau, you can pray quite specifically. Kemp Road has everything happening on it. Churches meeting, homeless people wandering, prostitutes sauntering, children running loose with no supervision, stray dogs decaying in the heat. At night, I'm afraid to drive it. So I've stopped. I go a different way at night, if at all possible. Kemp Road intersects with the street our church is on. By the time I arrive at church Sunday mornings, I've already been praying for the people I've passed. My heart is heavy. The need here seems so great. And literally, all these people, so lost, so empty, are just steps away from my church.
Where do we start? How can we make any difference? Some ideas floating around in my head would be to have a clothing and food bank at the church. We could open up to the local community for 1 hour a day, three days a week, say 3-4pm. We could allow each person 1 item of clothing per day. Maybe the food bank would only be open one day a week, with a 1 large bag of food per person limit. This is all off the top of my head. I know we need to do research, and find people to contribute, and people to run the ministry. And how would we ensure these people are hearing the gospel too? So many things to consider.... Pray for us. Pray for Kingdom Life Church. There is so much need, literally right outside our doors. I don't want to live in "paradise" while ignoring the vast need around me. I want to think about it, consider how I can help, and move towards action. May God help us as we seek to be a beacon of light in our little part of the city.
I luv me some Phil Collins. You are teaching your kids well. =) All your ideas sound good for reaching out to the community. I pray God gives you clear vision of what to do. I miss you guys!
ReplyDelete