stored up goodness...it was there all the time

I recently began reading Jerry Bridges' "The Joy of Fearing God."  Loving it already.  Such nuggets of truth I've already encountered!  Like, did you ever really READ this verse, "How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you." ( Ps. 31:9)?  I know I've read it.  But I never let it seep into my mind and heart that God stores up goodness for me because I belong to him and fear him. 

This passage causes me to hope when hope seems silly.  When it looks as if the decision has been made, the case is closed, and the result is not a "yes," I can believe that God is still storing up good for me, waiting to reveal it at the most opportune moment.  What an encouragement!

Here's a case in point....When we moved here and unpacked our electronics, we discovered we did not have our computer printer cords.  "WHAT?"  We were insensed that we had taken the trouble to carefully pack, ship, and pay duty on items that would now be of no use to us!  Not to mention that as a homeschool mom, my need for printing capabilities is ongoing.  So my plans have been thwarted time after time this year, since we had no access to a printer.  We knew we couldn't afford a new one, with prices here being so high and needing to save up for our outrageous electric bill each month.  Which brings us to today...our landlord owns a computer store and has access to used parts.  Keith mentioned we had no cord for our printer and he said he might be able to get one.  Today, Keith brought home the long-awaited printer cord....only to find it was not the right one for our model of Lexmark.  Sigh...well, it was a long-shot, right?  BUT WAIT!!   Minutes ago, I was looking for another electronic thingum, and what to my wondering eyes did appear in the top desk drawer...a cord that looked much like the one that goes to our printer.  COULD IT BE?  HAD IT BEEN IN THAT DRAWER ALL THESE MONTHS?  YES!!  IT WAS!!! 

Well, I needn't tell you that when I plugged that baby in and it fit, I marvelled.  "Um, Honey?" I looked at Keith.  "Isn't this the printer cord?  It's been right here in this drawer all along?  Are we really that dumb that we didn't see it there?"  "Yes, we are!  But let's not be mad about it!" he said.  There we had the cord all along, but were blind to it.  Praying for one, asking around about one...and all along it was right there under our noses.  God was storing up goodness for us.

Now, why God waited until today to reveal that to us, I cannot know.  Today of all days, when Keith finally had what we thought was the answer (the wrong cord), God shows us the provision we'd been seeking all along.  I know there is spiritual application all over this little story.  And in the days ahead I will ponder it.  But for now, "YIPPEE!  WE HAVE A PRINTER THAT WORKS AGAIN!"

What good have you been seeking from the Lord?  If you belong to him, you have every reason to believe...He is storing up good for you, and will reveal it at the right time.  Be encouraged, friend.

"The Lord has promised good to me, His word my hope secures,
  He will my shield and portion be, as long as life endures."    --John Newton from "Amazing Grace"

Comments

  1. This realy encouraged me today, thank you. My grandma is still in the hospital and has been feeling discouraged. Please pray for her to heal and that she will be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts