born into death

Wow.  Do I know how to pick a title for a post or what?  "Born Into Death" just puts a spring in your step, eh?  It draws you in, right?  Let me explain.

Today, our Kali-dog (Bahamian potcake mixed breed) desperately needed to see the vet.  We've known something was wrong with her for a few weeks, but after arriving home from Orlando and seeing her condition worsen, we knew we couldn't put it off any longer.  Poor baby.  She's got a few things against her immune system right now.  But it's all treatable.

She has mange.  And like many of the local strays here in Nassau, she was likely born with it.  We noticed patches on her legs soon after adopting her, but didn't think much of it.  We assumed it was allergies.  Well, the vet confirmed it's mange.  But thankfully, it's not the type that we can contract.  (I guess now I can't yell "You Mangy kids, get in here!"  Ha!  Not that I'd do that anyway...but...well...

I began thinking about how Kali, because of her biological mother, has to deal with this mange now.  How WE have to deal with it.  Special medicinal shampoo for her, followed up with another medicinal dip.  We have to wear rubber gloves to apply it, and the kids need to steer clear of it because it's so strong.

If this disease was let go, Kali, eventually, would die, I suppose.  If we hadn't intervened, adopted her, and gotten her in to see a vet, she could have died from something that could be treated.  Now I know this isn't a tit-for-tat analogy, but I saw myself in a like situation...  Born into sin.  Tainted with a disease I couldn't do anything about in my own power.  Someone needed to love me and intervene.  I needed a remedy and treatment if I was going to live. 

And the beautiful end of that story is that someone did love me and intervene.  God the Father, reached down in love and called me His own.  He provided a remedy for my sin-disease by putting his Son on the cross I should have hung on.  He not only took my disease for me, he became my disease.  And He conquered it.  Overcame it completely and took the sting of death out of it.  And now, not just me, but anyone, anyone (which means everyone), can also be cured.  He longs to rescue us, call us His own, and give us the one and only remedy: Jesus.    I was born in sin, but it is not God's will that I die in my sin.  He made provision.  Oh Happy Thought.

Comments

Popular Posts